Where to Buy Gold Bars ☛ Our #1 Recommendation
Wondering where to buy gold bars? In this article, we'll reveal the best place to buy gold bars in 2018.
While there are some people who love the feeling of having a lot of cash in the bank (not sensible in our opinion), there are others who are aware that paper money has no true value and is being eroded constantly by inflation. These people would rather invest in something that has intrinsic value and that will hold that value and even increase, in a crisis.
This is one reason why some are investing in gold bullion or are turning their sights towards doing so. If you are not familiar with what bullion is, these are the almost brick-like bars that are made out of solid gold, often sold in 1-ounce sizes.
For some people, purchasing gold bars can be a good way of storing any amount of money in just one place. The fact that these are heavy is valued by a lot of people, too. If you are considering investing in precious metals and are wondering how and where to buy gold bars, you should remember that investing in them is not considered foolproof.
One of the reasons why a lot of people like having gold bars is that they are easy to store. Other people think that having gold bars is just proof of their wealth. What a lot of people do not know about gold bars is that each individual bar is different.
Two gold bars may have the same weight and size, but they will surely differ in manufacturers and registration numbers. Most also come with individual certificates of assay, which are documents that officially show the purity of each particular bar. Different mints also stamp artful designs onto these bars to set theirs apart.
Where to Buy Gold Bars: Many Options
If you are still interested in investing in gold, you need to know how to do it and what to consider. There are different ways to purchase gold and different decisions you need to make.
- Ask yourself how much you are willing to spend for the gold that you are going to invest in. Determine an amount, but be willing to stay flexible, as the price of gold itself fluctuates daily. It is also likely that you might want to purchase it as a form of trial investment. Do remember that it will be important to weigh the other things that you are planning to invest in. Gold helps to diversify your portfolio, but it is not always a good idea to put all of the money that you have in gold. For instance, if you are planning to use 20 percent of a recent windfall for investments, you should use about one-fifth of that (4 percent of the total windfall) to purchase gold and spread the rest around in different areas in 20-percent increments.
- If you have already decided that you will purchase gold bars, you have to think about where you are going to store them. For instance, do you plan on storing the gold bars at home? This may not be too wise unless you have a built-in safe that other people know nothing about. It is also possible that you can store them at your bank. Remember that banks have specific gold deposit boxes that are different from those where paper money is stored. Aside from this, you may also have to pay for insurance.
- Choose the type of gold bar that you would like to purchase. As mentioned earlier, there are different types of gold bars that you can pick. The most common gold bar that is purchased and traded is the kilo gold bar that weighs about 1000 grams. This means that it has about 32. 25 troy ounces. Other than the kilo gold bar, other types of gold bars that you can invest in include the following:
What Gold Bars Are Available?
Gold Biscuits – This is not really a gold bar anymore because it has been flattened and has been stamped with the seal of the country where it was minted, but it still has some value because it is made out of gold. You can also buy gold coins.
One-Ounce Gold Bars – If you are just starting out your gold bar investment, this may be the best type to purchase. Do remember that these may come in different shapes. You just have to check if they are authentic or not. With these, you need the certificate of assay.
Ten-Ounce Gold Bars – This is the type of gold bar usually purchased by investors, so if you would like to be an investor yourself, this may be the right type of gold bar to purchase. Do remember that liquidating them can be a bit difficult because these are larger than the typical bars that casual investors purchase.
- Make sure that you stay up-to-date in your research about gold. Even if you have already finalized in your mind the reasons for your investment and the type of gold bar you want to purchase, always remember that researching should be done extensively. This will guarantee that you do not take too much of a risk. You will also get to know more about the various trends in gold and the prices, especially if you start checking every day.
- Understand the “spot” price. This is the price that your gold is worth at the specific moment in time when you're looking at it. You may be able to find dealers online who will be willing to adjust the price of the items that they are selling, although what they charge you will usually still be close to market value. Most dealers charge a little bit more than the spot price to make a profit. Check out Regal Assets for the most up-to-the-minute information about the changing spot prices; they are always current with accurate pricing, so you can be sure they offer the best deals possible. Remember that some investments are good and some don't turn out well, but in the scheme of things, investing in gold is one of the smartest things you can do.